Sunday, May 6, 2007

In-class writing assignments

Like a 500-pound man running the last leg of a marathon, is how I would describe my finishing of this semester.

Fighting a cold and a lost cell phone, I made my way to the library quit a bit this weekend. I have calculated that my five finals will be an averaging of 20% of my total grade. Some count more then others.

But what really grinds my gears, are the in-class writing finals (Math and Politics).

When am I ever going to need to write long hand on a piece of paper?

Now, I know that we should be able to think quickly and react to a situation in an intelligent way, but if in-class writing is the means to accomplish that then our society is screwed.

As I write this blog, in a quick and intellectual style of prose, Microsoft has my back. I have spell check at my disposal. I am able to move sentences around. If I wanted to change a word all I have to do is highlight it, a type a new one.

The reason why in-class writing has hanged on during the course of time probably has to do with our teachers learning that way.

A column in the print edition of the Mirror this week suggested that term papers are dead. Well you know what I think we should bury the in-class writing assignment right next to it.

No comments: